The Govt City College
Government City College owes its origin to the largesse of the VII Nizam of the erstwhile Hyderabad state, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan, who was known as the ‘modern architect of Hyderabad’.
The college building was designed by Vincent Esch, one of the prominent architects of the period, commissioned by the nizam in between 1915-20 with a total outlay of Rs.8,36,919/-. The imposing structure is famous for its architectural synthesis – the harmonious blending of the pillar and lintels style of Ajanta and Ellora caves with the elegant
indo-Saracen arches of superstructure and façade to represent the composite culture of Hyderabad.
It is three-storied structure with a large central archway and parapets with many onion domes supported by brackets as well as corbels and lintels in the Hindu style of architecture. The building has four imposing arched entrances and has been built around six courts.